I am willing to pay for a quality and fact checking of subscription media, but I use such diverse news sources that no individual subscription makes sense. Subscription media everywhere is struggling with this problem and their hasty and sloppy clickbait efforts make fake news a growing problem.
I choose a monthly dollar amount to donate. The startup distributes this to the media I use and appreciate, taking a % cut for itself. I put my actual money where my eyes go. I think over time, it ought to learn enough about me that it rewards even more heavily the news sources that while posting information I disagree with, is able to get me to read their articles. In the hope of forcing them to be more even handed? I won’t read anything from the Washington Post or the NY Times lets say, but if they have an economic incentive great enough they might stop being a propoganda arm for one party. (Or will they be a propoganda arm anyway as that is their one and only use? I don’t know)
– A donation service
– A way for reader to upvote/appreciate content
– A method of distributing the donation based on what the reader liked that month.
Bonus – quality media recommendation:
– Show popular articles and what people recommend them for.
– Display what people recommend particular articles/media for: First, funny, exciting, good writing, quality fact-checking, challenging conventions
– Breaking the media bubble: Which news do those with my own taste like? Which news are considered high quality among others? *Which news might challenge my viewpoints but is still liked by those with similar taste to me?*
– Display fact checking stats for the news being browsed + track record for the source.